Transitioned career from Engineering Leadership to Market Definition role; responsible for both growth and profit goals, roadmap and specification development, strategic account oversight, and global market strategy of VCSEL lasers.
- Successful mobile OEM component launch; produced packaged authentication VCSELs at a new offshore CM. Resolved legacy design issues, managed customer communications and expectations through final delivery.
- Launched new VCSEL entry into automotive space; new in-cabin platform with 10-year planned development roadmap, 60%+ contribution margin. Successfully passed rigorous automotive qualifications and both internal and external audits with difficult customer.
- AVL win in mobile OEM camera space – anticipated $10M in revenue; successful integration with 3rd party manufacturing partner. Transitioned existing product series to a service model to improve customer responsiveness and control margins.
- Published EOL of complicated product series; managed customer needs without customer component interruption.
- PLM of new flagship product line; responsible for product scope, resource attainment, and roadmap execution. On-boarded two lead customers – projected $100M revenue over 5Y.
Organize and lead the New Product Design (NPD) engineering, Engineer-to-Order (ETO), and Product Cost Reduction (VA/VE) functions to meet long-term business objectives.
- Leads five domestic and international engineering departments controlling three product lines; responsible for all new product releases, cost-out activity, and sustaining engineering to support manufacturing.
- Overhauled Engineer-to-Order process with standardized Six Sigma methods:
- Reduced leadtime by 55%.
- Increased sales 36% YOY to $4M in 2015.
- Implemented quality gating system, improving first-time yields by 28%.
- VA/VE material-reduction project leader – demonstrated history of aggressive cost-out philosophy:
- $500K incremental bottom-line decrease in 2015
- $750K in 2016
- $920K in 2017
- NPD champion, grew vitality sales ($35M sales, 29% growth) across four product lines.
- Define multigenerational product roadmaps for evolution of decades-old consumer lines.
- Executed DFM (Design-for-Manufacture) project to reduce 21% material and 38% labor cost on a $4M flagship line. 2 patents pending, 1 under review.
- Developed and implemented tiered engineering career path ladders, succession plans, development plans, and organizational capability assessments.
Spearheaded material reduction projects with Supply Chain, Operations, Engineering, and Product Managers.
- Established VA/VE team; implemented a change-based culture to long-dormant product lines.
- Strategic oversight for $4.0M (3% COGS) annual reduction across seven production sites.
- Lean 6 Sigma integration; reduced COGS 1.5% through labor efficiencies without sacrificing quality or leadtime.
- Organized and presented financial projections models to Executive staff.
- Key transition member during M&A process (my original employer, Cooper Industries was acquired by Eaton in 2013). Partnered with technical leads in other divisions to identify $2.4M in synergy cost-out projects.
- Chaired action committee to evaluate low-performing manufacturing sites; performed deep-dive analysis to find inefficiencies. Average annual savings of $350K per location.
Design lead for a global project team, responsible for consolidating pressure regulator products obtained through acquisitions with legacy products to form a unified platform for the Oil and Gas industry.
- Executed 6 year initiative to reorganize product architecture for mid-tier platform.
- Formulated the design and intellectual property (IP) process for new products resulting in 14 patents awarded.
- Converted legacy offerings from 20 disparate designs to unified portfolio with 6 high-margin designs:
- $21M increase in globally served markets
- 63% supplier reduction
- 54% component reduction
- Led two Chinese design teams; mentoring, managing deliverables, driving consistent vision.
- Performed complex FEA (Finite Element Analysis); eliminated tooling revisions, reduced time-to-market.
- Presented product concepts in Design Reviews with peers, suppliers, and Executive leadership.
- Verified new product releases with statistically controlled Pilot Runs; confirming sustainability.
Outsourced several flagship product lines to off-shore assembly houses. Responsible for the transfer of all processes, intellectual property, and on-site qualification of all manufacturing methods.
Implemented fail-safe methods to meet customer’s stringent expectations for aesthetics and quality.
Responsible for designing circuit board assembly tooling; reduced both cycle time and handling defects.