Market definition role responsible for metrics like product growth, revenue and profit goals, roadmap and specification development, strategic account oversight, and global marketing strategy for VCSEL lasers.
- On-boarded two lead customers to new flagship laser VCSEL product line – $100M projected revenue over 5Y. Responsible for complete product definition, customer inputs, and performance-price roadmap for new-to-world technical offering.
- Eliminated inherent eye-safety risk (largest barrier to market adoption) by prioritizing component integration; reduced customer layout space 61%, increased product margin 19%. Strong IP protection prevents commoditization.
- Introduced new go-to-market strategy; partnered with key sensor vendor, released an ‘approved reference design’ with custom packaged VCSEL laser – anticipated $10M in revenue over 2Y in consumer mobile space.
- Launched new VCSEL laser into automotive space; new in-cabin sensing platform with planned 10Y roadmap, 60%+ contribution margin. Satisfied demanding internal and external automotive audits with difficult customer.
- Avoided 8% margin erosion by creating product cost-out roadmap for a commodity product that aligned with negotiated customer price reduction targets.
- ‘Pruned’ product line offerings, increased portfolio margin 11%; performed data analysis to identify and isolate products that didn’t align with growth-strategy or adjacent product pull-through. Managed legacy product EOL, maintained 100% customer line uptime.
Finisar acquired by II-VI
Organized and led all product development functions: New Product Design (NPD), Engineer-to-Order (ETO), and Product Cost Reduction (VA/VE).
- Overhauled Engineer-to-Order process with standardized Lean Six Sigma methods:
- Reduced leadtime by 55%.
- Increased sales 36% YOY to $4M in 2015.
- Implemented quality gating system, improving first-time yields by 28%.
- NPD champion, grew vitality sales ($35M sales, 29% growth) across four product lines.
- VA/VE material-reduction project leader – demonstrated history of aggressive cost-out philosophy:
- $500K incremental bottom-line decrease in 2015
- $750K in 2016
- $920K in 2017
- Direct oversight of domestic and international engineering departments; responsible for all new product releases, cost-out activity, and sustaining engineering to support manufacturing.
- 3 domestic production plants
- 4 product lines
- 8 direct, 15 indirect reports
- Define multigenerational product roadmaps for evolution of decades-old consumer lines.
- Executed DFM project to reduce 21% material and 38% labor cost on a $4M flagship line. 2 patents awarded, 2 pending.
- Developed and implemented tiered engineering career path ladders, succession plans, development plans, and organizational capability assessments.
Spearheaded material reduction projects with Supply Chain, Operations, Engineering, and Product Managers.
- Established VA/VE team; implemented a change-based culture to long-dormant product lines.
- 3 direct, 6 indirect reports
- Strategic oversight for $4.0M (3% COGS) annual reduction across seven production sites.
- Key transition member during M&A process (my original employer, Cooper Industries was acquired by Eaton in 2013). Partnered with technical leads in other divisions to identify $2.4M in synergy cost-out projects.
- Lean 6 Sigma integration; reduced COGS 1.5% through labor efficiencies without sacrificing quality or leadtime.
- Organized and presented financial projections models to Executive staff.
- Chaired action committee to evaluate low-performing manufacturing sites; performed deep-dive analysis to find inefficiencies. Average annual savings of $350K per location.
Design lead for a global project team, responsible for consolidating pressure regulator products obtained through acquisitions with legacy products to form a unified platform for the Oil and Gas industry.
- Executed 6 year initiative to reorganize product architecture for mid-tier platform.
- Formulated the design and intellectual property (IP) process for new products resulting in 14 patents awarded.
- Converted legacy offerings from 20 disparate designs to unified portfolio with 6 high-margin designs:
- $21M increase in globally served markets
- 63% supplier reduction
- 54% component reduction
- 28% margin increase
- Led two Chinese design teams; mentoring, managing deliverables, driving consistent vision.
- 9 indirect reports
- Performed complex FEA; eliminated tooling revisions, reduced time-to-market.
- Presented product concepts in Design Reviews with peers, suppliers, and Executive leadership.
- Verified new product releases with statistically controlled Pilot Runs; confirming sustainability.
Outsourced several flagship product lines to off-shore assembly houses. Responsible for the transfer of all processes, intellectual property, and on-site qualification of all manufacturing methods.
Implemented fail-safe methods to meet customer’s stringent expectations for aesthetics and quality.
Responsible for designing circuit board assembly tooling; reduced both cycle time and handling defects.