Market definition role responsible for metrics like product growth, revenue and profit goals, roadmap and specification development, strategic account oversight, and global marketing strategy for VCSEL lasers.
- On-boarded two lead customers to new flagship laser VCSEL product line – $100M projected revenue over 5Y. Responsible for complete product definition, customer inputs, and performance-price roadmap for new-to-world technical offering.
- Eliminated inherent eye-safety risk (largest barrier to market adoption) by prioritizing component integration; reduced customer layout space 61%, increased product margin 19%. Strong IP protection prevents commoditization.
- Introduced new go-to-market strategy; partnered with key sensor vendor, released an ‘approved reference design’ with custom packaged VCSEL laser – anticipated $10M in revenue over 2Y in consumer mobile space.
- Launched new VCSEL laser into automotive space; new in-cabin sensing platform with planned 10Y roadmap, 60%+ contribution margin. Satisfied demanding internal and external automotive audits with difficult customer.
- Avoided 8% margin erosion by creating product cost-out roadmap for a commodity product that aligned with negotiated customer price reduction targets.
- ‘Pruned’ product line offerings, increased portfolio margin 11%; performed data analysis to identify and isolate products that didn’t align with growth-strategy or adjacent product pull-through. Managed legacy product EOL, maintained 100% customer line uptime.
Finisar acquired by II-VI
Still incredibly early in the process of merging two business units with some overlap in products, markets, and specialities. Excited to see how the combined companies can impact 3D Sensing!
Organized and led all product development functions: New Product Design (NPD), Engineer-to-Order (ETO), and Product Cost Reduction (VA/VE).
- Overhauled Engineer-to-Order process with standardized Lean Six Sigma methods:
- Reduced leadtime by 55%.
- Increased sales 36% YOY to $4M in 2015.
- Implemented quality gating system, improving first-time yields by 28%.
- NPD champion, grew vitality sales ($35M sales, 29% growth) across four product lines.
- VA/VE material-reduction project leader – demonstrated history of aggressive cost-out philosophy:
- $500K incremental bottom-line decrease in 2015
- $750K in 2016
- $920K in 2017
- Direct oversight of domestic and international engineering departments; responsible for all new product releases, cost-out activity, and sustaining engineering to support manufacturing.
- 3 domestic production plants
- 4 product lines
- 8 direct, 15 indirect reports
- Define multigenerational product roadmaps for evolution of decades-old consumer lines.
- Executed DFM project to reduce 21% material and 38% labor cost on a $4M flagship line. 2 patents awarded, 2 pending.
- Developed and implemented tiered engineering career path ladders, succession plans, development plans, and organizational capability assessments.
Spearheaded material reduction projects with Supply Chain, Operations, Engineering, and Product Managers.
- Established VA/VE team; implemented a change-based culture to long-dormant product lines.
- 3 direct, 6 indirect reports
- Strategic oversight for $4.0M (3% COGS) annual reduction across seven production sites.
- Key transition member during M&A process (my original employer, Cooper Industries was acquired by Eaton in 2013). Partnered with technical leads in other divisions to identify $2.4M in synergy cost-out projects.
- Lean 6 Sigma integration; reduced COGS 1.5% through labor efficiencies without sacrificing quality or leadtime.
- Organized and presented financial projections models to Executive staff.
- Chaired action committee to evaluate low-performing manufacturing sites; performed deep-dive analysis to find inefficiencies. Average annual savings of $350K per location.
Design lead for a global project team, responsible for consolidating pressure regulator products obtained through acquisitions with legacy products to form a unified platform for the Oil and Gas industry.
- Executed 6 year initiative to reorganize product architecture for mid-tier platform.
- Formulated the design and intellectual property (IP) process for new products resulting in 14 patents awarded.
- Converted legacy offerings from 20 disparate designs to unified portfolio with 6 high-margin designs:
- $21M increase in globally served markets
- 63% supplier reduction
- 54% component reduction
- 28% margin increase
- Led two Chinese design teams; mentoring, managing deliverables, driving consistent vision.
- 9 indirect reports
- Performed complex FEA; eliminated tooling revisions, reduced time-to-market.
- Presented product concepts in Design Reviews with peers, suppliers, and Executive leadership.
- Verified new product releases with statistically controlled Pilot Runs; confirming sustainability.
Outsourced several flagship product lines to off-shore assembly houses. Responsible for the transfer of all processes, intellectual property, and on-site qualification of all manufacturing methods.
Implemented fail-safe methods to meet customer’s stringent expectations for aesthetics and quality.
Responsible for designing circuit board assembly tooling; reduced both cycle time and handling defects.