Senior Product Manager2022 – Present
Sunnova is a fast-moving, market leader in the residential Energy as a Service (EaaS); my newly created role extends those offerings to both the C&I and Microgrid market verticals. $150MM revenue target by 2024.
New: Sunnova Adaptive Business
Sunnova now offers a complete suite of energy technologies and services tailored to meet specific energy needs, goals, and local utility rate structures for your business.
Senior Product Manager2021 – 2022
Fluence is solving the problem of energy storage to aid conversion to renewable energy sources – my profitability team spanned the entire portfolio of BESS product & services.
- Tactical focus on lowering customer investment; removed $3.9M in cost-out projects emphasizing container design, component sourcing, and on-site commissioning time.
- Developed long-term TCO roadmaps for long- and short-duration BESS offerings; those strategic actions generate 22% contribution improvement across the portfolio.
Fast Company: 2021 Top 10 Innovation
Fluence sold $1B worth of energy storage equipment in 2021, helping grids avoid dirty coal-burning “peaker” power plants.
Product Line Manager2018 – 2020
Market definition role responsible for metrics like product growth, revenue and profit goals, roadmap and specification development, strategic account oversight, and global marketing strategy for VCSEL lasers.
- On-boarded two lead customers to new flagship line – $100M projected revenue over 5Y. Responsible for complete product definition, customer inputs, and performance-price roadmap for new-to-world offering.
- Eliminated inherent eye-safety risk (largest barrier to market adoption) by prioritizing component integration; reduced customer layout space 61%, increased product margin 19%. Strong IP protection prevents commoditization.
- Introduced new go-to-market strategy to drive adoption; released an ‘approved reference design’ with custom packaged VCSEL – anticipated $10M in revenue over 2Y.
- Avoided 8% margin erosion by executing a cost-out roadmap for a commodity product that aligned with negotiated customer price reduction targets.
- ‘Pruned’ product line offerings, increased portfolio margin 11%; data analysis isolated products not aligned to growth-strategy. Managed legacy product EOL, maintained 100% uptime for customers.
II-VI acquires Coherent
The rebranded company serves the industrial, communications, electronics, and instrumentation markets which represent a fast-growing total addressable market of $65 billion.
Director of Engineering2013 – 2018
Organized and led all product development functions for the Enclosures Division: New Product Design (NPD), Engineer-to-Order (ETO), and Product Cost Reduction (VA/VE).
- Overhauled Engineer-to-Order process with standardized Lean Six Sigma methods:
- Reduced leadtime by 55%
- Increased sales 36% YOY to $4M in Y1
- Implemented quality gating system, first-time yields improved 28%
- NPD champion, grew vitality sales ($35M sales, 29% growth) across four product lines.
- Executed DFM project to reduce 21% material and 38% labor cost on a $4M flagship line; 3 patents awarded.
- Created and implemented tiered engineering career path ladders, succession plans, and organizational capability assessments.
Engineering Manager2012 – 2013
Spearheaded material and labor reduction (VA/VE) projects with Supply Chain, Operations, Engineering, and Product Managers. Established VA/VE team; implemented a change-based culture to long-dormant product lines.
- Strategic oversight for $4.0M cost-out P&L (3% COGS) across seven production sites.
- Key transition member during M&A process. Partnered with technical leads in other divisions to identify $2.4M in actionable synergy cost-out projects.
- Lean 6 Sigma integration; reduced COGS 1.5% through labor efficiencies without sacrificing quality or leadtime.
Senior Design Engineer2003 – 2012
Design lead for a global project team, consolidated products obtained through acquisitions with legacy offerings to a unified platform for the Oil and Gas industry.
- Executed 6 year initiative to reorganize mid-tier platform architecture. Formulated the design and IP process; 14 patents awarded.
- Converted legacy offerings from 20 disparate designs to a cohesive portfolio with 6 high-margin designs:
- $21M increase in globally served markets
- 63% supplier reduction
- 54% component reduction
- 28% blended margin improvement
- Led two Chinese product design teams; mentoring, managing deliverables, and driving consistent vision.
Design Engineer2002 – 2003
Outsourced flagship product lines to off-shore assembly house – responsible for process transfer, intellectual property, and on-site qualification.
Implemented DFMEA, PFMA, and a Control Plan to comply with stringent aesthetics and quality expectations.
Associate Design Engineer1999 – 2002
Responsible for designing circuit board assembly tooling; reduced both cycle time and handling defects.